Pages

Monday, January 18, 2010

Homework already?!

It's only the first day of classes, but I've already been assigned homework. And just like the procrastinator I am, I finally bought some of my books online today. I've been able to borrow an expensive textbook, adding to my savings, but I'm not sure about the two other books that I will eventually have to get a hold of.

Anyway, it seems like this semester I will be reading a lot. In fact, my first homework assignment of the semester is to read the first two chapters of C.S. Lewis', Mere Christianity,  and type up a short book report about them. I don't think that doing the work will be hard, but I can already tell it's going to wear on me because these types of book reports are due for a total of 40 times. That's a lot of reading to do, and my professor said the reports should add up to about 30 full pages. That's a lot of writing! Oh well, it'll be good for me. I'm definitely looking forward to learning a lot in that class.

Anyway, I love to read, but I have gotten out of the habit in recent years mainly because I read a ton of articles and stories online. I still feel like my brain gets fed by this, but I sorely miss the comfort of paper in my hands and the focus that comes with a real book. So for this New Year, I made a resolution to read one book about every two weeks. I feel that's pretty reasonable working within my schedule. I used to be able to finish a huge hardback in about three days back in the day. So I know my speed reading is up to par with my plan, but I am worried about simply not sitting down and just plain picking up a book. I do have ADD, and I do get distracted easily. Especially when I'm on the computer. Now, onto the picture of the day!

Picture # 18 "In a sea of books"



This is a unique one today. Normally I post a face shot, but I loved how this composition turned out. I think that the business of the upper right corner is balanced by the negative space in the bottom left. Though I must say, I think this was my hardest shoot to date, camera wise. The Snake was definitely the most challenging for me personally. But I say this was the hardest because I had such a simple shot lined up in my head. Turned out that executing the shot proved to be pretty much impossible. If the lighting wasn't the problem, it was everything being out of focus. When I would go to fix the lens, I would somehow show outside the main set. And on top of it all, I still managed to cut off my head in 9/10 photos. Finally I started playing with different angles. Still difficult, but I got some gems. I had about 5 really solid pictures that showcased my love of reading and where everything was in focus. But I picked this one because of the lines I saw, the attention point is the book, and the emotions (At least what I can see) transfered through the posing of my hand.

If you disagree with me, feel free to point out something that I might have missed or should know for next time. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment