Pages

Monday, September 19, 2011

Day 16: CARE

I ended up walking into my town's branch of CASA earlier today, and talked to one of the women there. She told me that their promotions director is out because of a family emergency, but would contact me (hopefully...) once she was able. So I agreed to hold off on doing a blog post, mainly because I do want to start putting more effort into each nonprofit. Especially since this is a local nonprofit, it would be really nice to sit down and have a good conversation about the works of CASA in my area.

Anyway, I had to choose another nonprofit for today, and CARE came to mind. I love CARE! I follow them on youtube and their videos are always thought provoking and challenging.

CARE: Defending Dignity. Fighting Poverty.

What is CARE?
            CARE is a humanitarian organization fighting poverty by placing an emphasis on the rights and wellbeing of women and girls. They provide medical care, schooling, even micro-loans to jumpstart a community's economy.

Why CARE?
            Have you seen their videos?! SO good.

I also chose CARE because they honestly do make a difference in poverty-stricken areas. On their website they do a numbers breakdown, which I really appreciate. And I can't help but say this, I also chose CARE because I am a woman, and knowing that I could be in the same position as many of these women had I not been born American really drives me to make a difference in their lives. I hope the world wakes up and stops putting down the beautiful people that women are.

Website
Youtube
Twitter
Facebook

*I really want to read Sojourner Truth's "Ain't I a woman" speech. I had almost memorized it in high school. Look it up if you don't know of it. And if you don't know about Sojourner, shame on you! Do a history report, now! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment