Pages

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

My journey since September.

           Alright, this post is is to go over why I started this blog and how God has been molding my journey since I've started it.
          I have always wanted to spend a semester abroad, but unfortunately my school doesn't really offer that option. They will, however, work with you to get an internship abroad. So I thought I'd go my junior year, spring semester. That way I wouldn't miss marching band, and I would still be at school for my entire senior year. I started working for this in November of my sophomore year through my professional advisor, Ms. Viets. Then in the spring I contacted the LU abroad department and began the process of working through a missions agency to help a Christian organization in my field (Communications-Broadcasting). Over the summer I decided to go through the International Missions Board and filled out the application, including getting most of my references in. This fall I met with Matt Rawlins, LU abroad's director, along with Che', my mentor through the process. Here is the link to my first post, it goes into more detail as to where I was right then. http://whatsnextonthelist.blogspot.com/2009/09/prologue.html
         Then I started the process of picking a project. Top contender was the project in India. I would be leaving in just a few days if I had be allowed to go there, what a weird thought. Next came Prague. I really thought this was going to be the internship for me. I really, really did. Everything seemed to be going right. Here is the story, http://whatsnextonthelist.blogspot.com/2009_10_01_archive.html
         I told Che' and she told her boss to put my name down. Then the next day that internship closed, and I was left going, "What just happened?" I had no other choice but to move my time to the summer. This was a very disappointing move because I had taken some advanced classes specifically so I could miss school in the spring semester. I had to go back and tell all my friends and professors what happened. I know they didn't think too much of it, but I was really upset and embarrassed. After getting over myself, I found an awesome internship in the Philippines. It is basically working with this group called Nehemiah Teams, and they do it all. Orphan work, Agriculture and more. Here is their website if you want to check it out, http://www.nehemiahteams.com/
          Currently I am waiting for everything to be processed, which normally I am a patient person, but I am starting to lose it. I can't really do much until I receive confirmation that I am going, which is the most frustrating thing. But as soon as I hear some good news, I am going to start the ball rolling. Get some new travel gear, raise the money to fund the missions trip (about $2,000), buying a plane ticket (22 hr flight!), it will never end. But this is where I am right now, and hopefully this post explains a bit of where I was and where I hope to go.

If this post seems to "me" centered, let me know, but I'm just trying to be honest. I am working on my spiritual life, and I know that not everyone who reads this blog  is going to be a Christian. In fact they will probably think I'm crazy. So I'm trying to find a happy medium. We'll see how this thing molds out after I get going a little more. And feel free to ask me any questions, I realize I might not have covered everything that has happened so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment