Pages

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Devo: Discovering Your Creative Side

Wasn't sure if I was going to post this... but I've decided I will. And then hopefully I'll post more pictures soon as well.

This week it was about following a creative passion and using it to meet a specific need.

1. Many people who utilize their creativity ultimately start a part-time business or launch a full-time career. Have you ever pursued a creative idea as part of your work? What was the response?

I feel like this is a hard question for me to answer honestly. Since I've always been a student, I haven't really been able to pursue anything creatively as "work." Aside from occasionally making a buck or two from my services as a photographer I haven't really made a business out of anything else. I do plan on freelancing this year as a photographer/videographer, as well as work on writing. I would love to start selling scripts and try professionally blogging. Response has been so so to starting a freelancing business. Probably because I'm not where I need to be yet, as I just graduated and don't quite know how to go about this... business thing.    

2. Do you have any creative business or volunteer ideas you've been dreaming about? If so, describe. What's stopping you from pursuing your creative ideas?

Obviously video/photography work as described above. I also am thinking about approaching some local business to do social media work for them. I really like forming online communities and if I could get paid for it, well hey! :)

3. What flavors of ice cream would you use to describe your life? Are there any creative additions you would like to add in?

Hmmm, this one is really odd. I guess Moose Tracks and Mint Chocolate Chip? And I love adding brownie bits, yum!

4. Read Ephesians 2:8-10. Write down the words and phrases in these verses that are the most meaningful to you.

"For we are God's handiwork... to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."


5. Do you think creativity is involved in the "good works" God has designed you to do? Why or why not? Do you tend to think creatively when it comes to honoring and serving God? Why or why not?


Of course I do. I plan on eventually having a career in the film industry. You need to be creative to stay on top. I feel a drive to get there and I know that God placed that desire within me. As for the second part of the question, I would have to say it depends on the situation. Because obviously if it's about art than I do think creatively, but if it's about the church building or where to put what food where for a church-wide picnic than not necessarily. Which is a shame, b/c I should use my creativity to solve problems. 


6. Read Exodus 26:1-29. Reflecting on all the specific instructions involved in constructing the tabernacle, make a list of the various artistic skills needed for its construction.

    1. Metal working
    2. Weaving
    3. Wood working

7. Are there any areas in your life in which you're tempted to bury your creative gifts? Explain.

I would definitely say my singing and acting. Most of my friends in college haven't really heard me sing. I know I have a sweet voice, but it's not a solo voice, and I think that getting rejected for many solos and such just pushed me away from singing in front of people. I'm actually thinking about taking up voice lessons again with my old teacher when I move back home. I also love acting, but I know I am not very good at it. So I will hopefully get to practice a lot by being in front of a camera in the fall. 


8. What changes do you need to make in your life to unleash your creative side?

I think number one would be to become more disciplined. I know I have potential. But so often I let time just slip away from me. I really do need to pay more attention to time and what I can accomplish before relaxing and just being lazy in front of a computer screen. Sometimes the internet just needs to be TURNED OFF.


D.I.Y.
Make a wish list of 5 activities you really want to do. Set aside time this week to complete one of the items on your list.


1. Read a book without getting distracted and forgetting to finish it. 
2. Throw a dance party. Even if it's just myself. 
3. Release my facebook page.
4. Design a poster for a competition.
5. Go swimming! 

1 comment: